The electronic journal "Actualidades Investigativas en Educación" is a four-month academic publication. It is produced by the Institute of Education Research ( INIE, by its acronym in Spanish), from the University of Costa Rica, which is available for the academic community of the university as well for the national and international academics in the education field.
The purpose of this journal is the creation of an analysis, discussion and reflection space in the education field. Also, this journal spread the academic production done by specialist in education field and contributions form other fields related to education. This process is done using the Information and Communication technologies.
It is worth mentioning that “Actualidades Investigativas en Educación” publish, divulge and encourage the Open Access Philosophy, which the knowledge is conceived as free in its dissemination and access. This journal gives open access.
This journal gives immediately open access to its content under the principle that when the research is published for free to the public, it will be promoted a higher exchange of global knowledge.
The main objectives of the journal are: first, to use the Information and Communication Technologies, as a tool, to communicate the results of the research done in the INIE and other university entities, particularly, in the education field. Secondly, to create a new, agile, timely and low-cost option for both researchers and professionals in the education field, which allows to publicize the research results. Third, to keep updated the population interested in the formal and no formal education thematic. Fourth, to create an analysis and reflection space in the education field among professionals in this field in order to favor the communication between authors and readers. Finally, it is proposed to report on the activities programmed by INIE towards the university community, nationally and internationally.
The journal is integrated by an Editorial Board of five members of the INIE and, at least, fifteen external-foreigner specialist. All the members are ruled by a regulation.
The journal accepts articles, essays and finished research papers that present a theoretical contribution support in the field. This research papers can be written in Spanish, English and Portuguese. The evaluation process is the next one:
1. The received documents will have a preliminary evaluation in which it is established if the documents fulfill the minimum requirements of publication requested in the author's guide as thematic, extension and structure. Moreover, the documents are analyzed to verify its originality with the Software Turnitin.
2. The journal uses the peer review system and the double blind review for all the papers presented to the journal.
3. The evaluation process of a document will be six months as minimum.
4. Once the paper is reviewed in the peer review system the next faults are established by the academic peers.
a. Approved, publish
b. Approved with suggestions, publish.
c. Failed, not published.
d. Suggest the submission to another publication source.
5. If one of the peers disagrees in the peer review process, the document will be evaluated by a third peer who dictates the final fault.
6. The authors are responsible for making the changes and take decisions related to the suggestions of the academic peers.
7. Finally, the editorial committee see the documents after the peer review process and approve the publication.
The papers' publication requirements are established in the “Publication Criteria” which is on the bottom of the page or in the left menu.
Since 2015 the journal has a new methodology for broadcasting the academic contributions received by the journal, it consists in Post approval publication. The editorial management procedure is as follows:
The goal of this procedure is to expedite the processes, in that way the users of the journal opportunely access to up dated information. The authors have an expedited disclosure of their paper, which is a benefit for them due to the requirements of the educational academic community.
The reception of documents will be opened according to the internal planning of the editorial management and will be communicated by the corresponding media.
The population to which this publication is addressed is the following:
- Direct population: teachers, researchers, university students and professionals from related fields.
- Indirect population: students, parents and mothers.